Please update or expand this section.
Tools and Software list
Graphical Tools (Graphs, Image generation etc.)
- Export Data
- External manipulation of data
yEd Graph Editor
A desktop application that can be used to generate diagrams of data files from many formats including GEDCOM. and Excel .xlsx spreadsheets. Gramps XML needs an XSLT stylesheet to be transformed into a valid GraphML.
Imports your external data to be diagrammed for analysis. The automatic layout algorithms arranges large data sets. Diagrams may be manually re-organized.
yEd is freely available and runs on all major platforms: Windows, Unix/Linux, and macOS.
Text based tools (Writer software etc.)
- Notepad++ : a MS Windows compatible free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages.
- XML Tools plugin for Notepad++
- GEDCOM plugin for Notepad++
- GEDCOM Lexer plugin for Notepad++
- JSON Viewer plugin for Notepad++
- XSLT (Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations) Transform elements of XML files between
The following are examples of Gramps-derived data processed or modified through with other software tools.
- example.gramps converted to GEDCOM graph in yED, organic layout, 'One Click' layout
- based on the Discourse forum topic about Suggestions for a Complimentary Tools index
- Other genealogy software-Freeware-Shareware-Commercial