Difference between revisions of "Addon:Life Line Chart View"
m (Patsyblefebre moved page Life Line Chart View to Addon:Life Line Chart View: Standardize filename to include prefix "Addon:" in preparation for new installer tools)
Revision as of 23:01, 22 February 2022
This is a Third-party Addon.
Please use carefully on data that is backed up, and help make it better by reporting any comments or problems to the author, or issues to the bug tracker
To enable SVG file export use the minimum requirement of Python 3.6 for svgwrite prerequisite
Life Line Chart View is an interactive Charts category view addon which shows individuals as lines in an ancestor or descendant chart. The length and position of the line depends on the actual life span and the marriages. The pedigree/ancestor collapse is handled. Labels for birth / names, death, and marriages can be added.
The active person on the person tab is starting point in both charts. Birth/christening/baptism, death/burial, and marriage dates need to be available to properly draw this chart. If they are incomplete reasonable guess values are chosen if possible. If not, then these individuals are not shown
Two new chart icons will appear in the Charts category view tool bar if the addon was loaded successfully and the prerequisites have been installed:
- Life Line Ancestor Chart View (left icon)
- Life Line Descendant Chart View (right icon)
- The charts can be configured using the Configure the active view dialog.
- You may zoom (if the chart is focused) with
- Ctrl++ and Ctrl+-
- Ctrl+mouse wheel
- the GUI control buttons (+, -, fit to view, reset to 1)
- Scrolling is possible (if the chart is focused) with
- mouse wheel, ⇧ Shift+mouse wheel
- Ctrl+left mouse button (grabbing)
- Context menu enables
- Opening the edit dialog
- Change active person
- Show / hide persons and their ancestors / descendants
- Showing siblings in the ancestor chart
- You may lock Ctrl with the GUI control button "M"
- You may also use the filter to fade out individuals
- A tooltip shows the name, gramps id, birth and death date of the person.
The Configure the active view dialog shows two tabs of option that you can configure independently for the charts.
- number of generations.
- relative line width.
- vertical and horizontal chart size.
- warping of the whole chart (normal grid, sine, triangle).
- show or hide pedigree collapse.
- unique line color or coloring based on surname.
- line fading represents the uncertainty of dates or the age.
- show or hide lables for birth, death, marriages.
- line weighting (only descendant diagram).
- general chart layout "parents enclose children" or "cactus" (only descendant diagram).
- optimizations (only ancestor diagram):
- flip family to reduce the cross chart connection lengths.
- horizontal chart compression.
- softness of the family shape.
- vertical flipping of the whole chart.
- show photos of the person on the line.
- size of the photos.
- birth and death label.
- word wrapping.
- font name and size.
- marriage label font size and name.
- Photos of the persons can be displayed along the line. Their position is either based on the date that is set in the media object, or displayed in the order of appearance in the family tree.
- Overview map on the bottom left.
- The diagram can be exported as an SVG file using the Save the Life Line Chart View button (not available using Python 3.5).
- Layout optimization algorithms.
- Dark theme.
- Handling of pedigree collapse.
If the requirements for this addon have not already been installed you will be prompted to download them semi-automatically by selecting the Download module button for each.
The addon is based on the Python module life_line_chart, this Python module is required.
To enable SVG file export, the module (svgwrite) is required (which has a minimum requirement of Python 3.6).
- "smooth scrolling" is supported since GTK 3.24 (GTK documentation), the Windows AIO currently uses an older version.
- Touch screens are not properly supported on Windows. This is an unresolved GTK issue (GTK issue)
For current issues see the related tag LifeLineChartView on the bugtracker.