This is a Third-party Addon.
Please use carefully on data that is backed up, and help make it better by reporting any comments or problems to the author, or issues to the bug tracker
The GetGOV Gramplet is designed to download place information from the GOV gazetteer. This information can include
- Geographical location (lat-lon coordinates)
- Foreign and former names
- Past affiliation or hierarchy of enclosed-by places.
Instead of the default Place ID Format numbering (Pxxxx) for the imported places, the GOV-id will be used as the Place ID. If additional imports are performed, duplicate places (even part of the Enclosed By) will be automatically merged.
It is designed to be installed as a gramplet on the Places Category (List/Tree) view.
The language is set in the Edit -> Preferences.. tabs Display and is described in the Place Format Editor. This is used as the preferred language for place names and types which are imported. The default language is German.
If the Preferences -> Places tabs Language is set, then this is used as the preferred language for place names and types which are imported, otherwise, the preference is German.
This example shows how the gramplet would be used with the GOV gazetteer website to import the place Frommenhausen.
Log into the GOV gazetteer website.
Find the appropriate GOV-id for the place of interest. In the illustration, the search for the city Frommenhausen was used. The result identifies the appropriate GOV-id as
To see what data will be imported, you can drill down in to the GOV-id.
Enter the GOV-id into the GetGOV gramplet on the Places view.
The resulting places with Latitude and Longitude are loaded. Note that the Place Type is in the same language as the Place. Note that the ID is the GOV-id and not the default
Pxxxx numbering. If you use the Reorder Gramps IDs tool, it will change the ID to the default
Pxxxx numbering. Later use of this gramplet may import duplicate items (with different ID) since the Gramps ID is no longer the GOV-id and duplicates will not be identified. For instance, if you import
FROSENJN48KK and then use the Reorder Gramps ID tool to reset the Gramps ID, if you reimport FROSENJN48KK or any other GOV place that is already imported, you will have duplicate places for every item imported.
This illustrates that multiple alternate names will be loaded if they are in the GOV database. Deutschland is the Primary name and there are multiple alternate names in different languages in this illustration.
The Place hierarchy is also loaded as defined in the GOV database. This includes the Enclosed By information which may be time-dependent as illustrated.
- If you use the Reorder Gramps IDs tool, it will change the ID to the default Pxxx numbering. Later use of this gramplet will import duplicate items (with different ID) since the Gramps ID is no longer the GOV-id and duplicates will not be identified.
- 11596 Place format Language setting is not honored unless it is in lower case
- 10980 Some places are shown as "?" if imported via getGOV third party addon
- 10773 Places view shows all alternate names - even those with different languages
- 11680 GetGOV crashes Gramps when GOV gazetteer website ( http://gov.genealogy.net ) is not available
- Other open issues tagged GetGOV on the Gramps Bug Tracker.
- Addon:GeoName - downloads place information from the GeoNames gazetteer.