This is a Third-party Addon.
Please use carefully on data that is backed up, and help make it better by reporting any comments or problems to the author, or issues to the bug tracker
The GeneanetForGramps plugin allows you to add ancestors and descendants for a selected person.
Once this addon has been installed:
- Select Menu Tools > Family Tree Processing -> Import Geneanet data for Gramps...
Undo history warning
Proceeding with this tool will erase the undo history for this session. In particular, you will not be able to revert the changes made by this tool or any changes made prior to it. If you think you may want to revert running this tool, please stop here and backup your database.
- From the Undo history warning dialogue you can choose Stop or Proceed with the tool.
- The Geneanet Import Options tab is displayed with the following:
- Center Person: - Person to process in Geneanet (by default the active one)
- Genanet URL: - The URL on the Geneanet' site corresponding to the person selected in Gramps and from who you want to import ancestors and descendants. Note that in Gramps the person should have the same birth and death date so it works.
- [ ] Import ascendants: - Check that box if you want to import ancestors of the person (False by default).
- [ ] Import descendants: - Check that box if you want to import descendants of the person (False by default).
- [ ] Import spouses: - Check that box if you want to import spouses of the person (False by default).
- Level of import: Number of upper or lower parsing you'll do in the Geneanet tree. If you choose 2 (default), you'll get parents and grandparents, children and grandchildren. Be careful by using large numbers as the parsing can then take a long time.
- [ ] Force import: Force overwrite of existing Gramps fields in a person replaced by the Geneanet Filed (False by default).
- Verbosity: Increase the versbiosity in the text window where Gramps has been launched (from 0 to 4, 1 by default)
Once you have made your choices, you can either choose Close or Execute to launch the import.
Make a try by just importing ancestors to check it's working correctly for you, and the you can add more persons. Limit the level of import when starting at 2 before increasing once you verified it's working for you. Note that the plugin can also be called from the CLI:
usage: GeneanetForGramps.py [-h] [-v] [-a] [-d] [-s] [-l LEVEL] [-g GRAMPSFILE] [-i ID] [-f] [searchedperson] Import Geneanet subtrees into Gramps positional arguments: searchedperson Url of the person to search in Geneanet optional arguments: -h, --help show this help message and exit -v, --verbosity Increase verbosity -a, --ascendants Includes ascendants (off by default) -d, --descendants Includes descendants (off by default) -s, --spouses Includes all spouses (off by default) -l LEVEL, --level LEVEL Number of level to explore (2 by default) -g GRAMPSFILE, --grampsfile GRAMPSFILE Full path of the Gramps database (under $HOME/.gramps/grampsdb) -i ID, --id ID ID of the person to start from in Gramps -f, --force Force processing
- GitHub - bcornec/GeneanetForGramps - Gramplet/Script to import into Gramps persons from Geneanet