This is a Third-party Addon.
Please use carefully on data that is backed up, and help make it better by reporting any comments or problems to the author, or issues to the bug tracker
The DownloadMedia tool is designed to download pictures from websites. If Preferences -> General -> Base path for relative media paths is set, then the media are downloaded there, otherwise, a folder/directory called 'mediadir' is created in the user's home directory, and the media files are put in that directory.
Example of use
This example shows how this tool would be used with the Geni website, but other websites would be similar.
- Log into the Geni website in the usual way.
- Create and export a GEDCOM file. In the case of Geni, instructions are at . You can go to  and select the appropriate download option.
- In the case of Geni, the GEDCOM file is created off-line, and you get an email to say that the file is available.
- Download the GEDCOM file.
- Start Gramps
- It is strongly recommended that you create a new Family Tree rather than import the downloaded GEDCOM into your main or active tree.
- Import the Geni family tree into the new Family Tree.
- If you have not already downloaded the addon, download it.
- Click on Tools -> Utilities -> Download media files from the internet...
- A warning message to check that you are connected to the internet and logged into the website where the images are held appears.
- OK the warning.
- The media files are downloaded.
Copy the media files that you are interested in from the download location into the directory where you hold images for your Family Tree, and add the images to the Family Tree.
Note that some of the media references are actually references to index pages, rather than direct to the media object, and these are not downloaded. Fortunately, these usually duplicate the actual media files.
You can download this plugin by following the directions at Third-party Plugins. (Select the appropriate page for your version of Gramps).
Provision is made to enhance the addon in case a login and password to the site is needed. If a problem is encountered in this respect, please raise a bug tracker report, giving details of the website and data that are causing the problem.